Monday, October 7, 2013

Level 3 Failed. Continue?

Friday's ultrasound and blood work were incredibly easy, I was in and out of the office in about ten minutes.  Feeling confident I spent the day slaving away at the big monthly spreadsheet report.  The nurse called around 4 with my results.  (Now, just as a refresher, on 50mg Clomid I had two follies on my right at 15mm and 12mm and one 12mm follie on my left with blood work showing I was already surging.)  On my right ovary I had two follies at 16mm and two more at 14mm.  On my left ovary there were two follies at 13mm and two at 11mm.  Eight measurable follicles from 25mg Clomid!  

The nurse told me to trigger the following day and IUI would be Monday afternoon.  We were able to go down to Baltimore as planned!  We packed the car up on Saturday, my Ovidrel shot sitting in the insulated packaging with an ice pack.  Everything was going great until it was trigger time.  It was about 1:30am, wanting trigger to happen as close to 36 hours before IUI as possible without staying up all night.  I was so incredibly nervous and I read the directions over and over again while waiting for the Ovidrel to come to room temperature.  Dave and our friends B and R were with me in the kitchen, giving their support.

It was go time.  I went to take off the cap, my hands shaking as the cap resisted.  There was a pop, but it wasn't the cap.  Somehow the plunger had pulled back and came completely out.  The medication spilled out all over the counter.  I stood there completely dumbfounded, wondering for a split second if I could just replace the plunger and suck the liquid back up into the syringe.  Once that stroke of desperate stupidity had passed I panicked and called the after hours service for Dr. S.  I was two states away with no chance of getting a second syringe.  The on call nurse put me through to Dr. S, it never ceases to amaze me how calm and collected that man is.  I would have to come in Monday morning for another ultrasound and blood work and see where we could go from there.

After getting off the phone we all went to bed.  I broke down and cried hysterically.  The cycle might be ruined and it would be all my fault.  Dave comforted me and got me to calm down, reassuring me that everything would be fine.  I didn't sleep well at all that night.  

The next morning as we got ready for Ren Faire I chatted with my NJ IDOB ladies and they helped me so much.  The cycle wasn't ruined, there was still plenty of hope.  Ren Faire was a lot of fun as always and really helped take my mind off the previous night's disaster.  We headed home later in the afternoon, got take out, and starting watching season 8 of How I Met Your Mother.  All in all a nice relaxing evening.

The ultrasound and blood work this morning went well and it seems I have not ovulated yet.  The tech said my blood work results would determine the course of action.  Best case scenario is trigger tonight with IUI tomorrow or Wednesday.  If I'm already surging then we'll be downgraded to TI.  Just waiting for the call now....        


  1. That sounds very stressful, I'm sorry things didn't go as smoothly as you'd hoped! FX you get some good news when they call!!

  2. Oh my goodness, I would have flipped out! I'm so glad to hear you didn't surge yet and I hope everything will work out and you'll still be able to trigger for IUI! FX!